The Souls Remedy Ministries Donations

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Part II - Pimping God for Seven minutes …Do You Know How to Pray?


Part II

It came to pass, that as He was praying one of the disciples said Lord teach us to pray as John taught his disciples Luke 11:1-4



Pimping God
Most Christians cannot pray to God seven minutes.  Being honest, there was a season I could not either. There was a preoccupation with me, myself, and I.  Yet, when the going got tough I was first in line hustling and bargaining with God.  “Lord I will do this if you do that.”

What is prayer?
People don’t know how to pray. We are a society filled with greed. Anxious, impatient and want what we want now.  We wish or rub lanterns and hoping Jesus pops out - poof! That is not prayer.

·        Prayer is communication with God
·        Prayer is an action – praying without ceasing Thes. 5:17.
·        Prayer is supplication – not being anxious  Philippians 4:6
·        Prayer is NOT vain repetition – stop babbling Matthew 6:7

I don’t know how to pray
how to pray
There was a woman who was learning how to pray.  She started with prayers she knew – The Lord’s Prayer and The 23rd Psalms. On her daily commute she prayed two Lord’s Prayers and three 23rd Psalms. Her petitions were about God and not self. In return her life was filled with joy and closeness with God. Jesus told His disciples enter your closet and pray in secret Matt.6:6. After entering your private closet your prayer can be as simple as reciting the Lord’s Prayer.

What to pray for
As my understanding and relationship matured in Christ so did my prayer life. Opposed to egotistical prayers I started giving thanks for everything – life, health, home, job and family. I graduated to praying for the sick, shut-in, friends and strangers. Most important I sought God’s will and welcomed the Holy Spirit into my life.

Dear Christian, there is no set amount of time required to pray but if you are not giving God seven minutes make the time. If your prayers are self-absorbed it time for a paradigm shift! Give Thanks to God because he is good in all things!
Dear Father God, help me to become more conscious of giving you thanks, praise and less selfish desires. Help me to grow spiritually and conform to your will. This I pray in your son Jesus Christ name – Amen.

4 comments:

  1. Wow...I really never knew that praying to God didn't have to be fancy. Most early mornings on my way to work (about 5:30am) pray and give thanks for....for well...just about everything family, health, direction, understanding... when I first open my eyes each morning I give a simple Thank You Lord...but.. I always felt I needed to say more... that I needed to pray harder. Now I see God just wants you to be simple in your pray...I never really thought able saying the Lord's. Pray or the 23 palms.. your message
    today has given me peace & above all understanding. ...and for that I humbly thank you.

    today has given me peace and above allt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      I had the same problem thinking prayer had to be long. Jesus is very clear prayer is as easy as reciting the Lord's prayer! read Luke 11:1-4. Thanks for reading!!!

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of seven minutes. This is doable! When I woke up this a.m., I looked at my alarm clock. Without my glasses, I thought that it was 10 a.m. It was only 8. Instead of getting started on my routines, I decided to pray. Wow. What a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, Praise God! Praying can be so easy. As long as we put God first - thanks, praise, and thinking of others.

      Delete

ShareThis

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner