The Souls Remedy Ministries Donations

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Uncle Henry’s worry box

Tig & Uncle Henry - Dallas Zoo, 1969
Read: Psalm 25:14-18
The troubles of my heart have enlarged… Psalm 25:17


The aroma of King Edward’s cigars engulfed Uncle Henry. His appearance was always scraggly with a scrubby face, but his presence commanded attention.  He was a man of few words but when spoke they were succinct. Though he never finished grade school, Uncle Henry was a wise and intelligent man.


Williams’ Grocery was the neighborhood corner store in South Dallas, which was the lifeline of South Oak Cliff. The sight of a tall lanky man with a big gnawed cigar grin warmly greeted every customer. I remember spending weekends and long hot summers watching Uncle Henry counsel, minister and become the local banker to patrons young and old. 

On a shelf behind the cash register sat a cigar box filled with scraps of paper.  Every so often, a customer asked to speak privately with Uncle Henry.  After a short conversation, he would scribble in a notebook, rip the page out and place in the cigar box. For years, I thought the pieces of paper were receipts or maybe IOUs.  Until one slow, hot boring day while tossing up a ball, I knocked over the cigar box. In the effort to clean up the scraps I soon discovered each piece of paper had notes inscribed – “This too shall pass,”  “Lord, Bless Ms. Johnnie,”  “the Lord will make away.”

As Uncle Henry approached, I asked about the box. To my surprise, he told me it was his worry box that anytime a customer did not pay a tab, something bothered him or if he did not have funds to pay a bill he would write it down on a piece of paper and put it away in the box. The intent was to not think about the worries but to write them down and do not think about them anymore. It was his way of giving problems to God and forgetting the problem. It was during the hardship of dealing with racism, discrimination, and Jim Crow laws he learned to pray, write problems down, and give it to the Lord. By passing them to God, Uncle Henry knew everything would be all right.
 
LaVerne & Uncle Henry - 1983
It took many decades for me to formulate my own worry box, learning how not to worry. God’s word forever reminds us to walk by faith not by sight, God is a heavy load barrier, and to pray and leave our burdens at the altar.  However, for some strange reason the Miseducation of man, we believe we can cope and deal with our problems better than the creator himself – God.   Anxiety in the heart can cause depression but if we trust in God, the burdens can be bearable.  We have to learn how to walk in faith.

Whatever problems you are facing – health, economic crisis, jobs, families or life – worry does not solve them.  Take time to pray and give God your problems. He will relieve the troubled heart and free it from anguish. Learn how not to worry but sing a joyful noise of praise!

My Uncle Henry may have not have looked wealthy but he was rich with God’s blessing and highly favored. I loved being around Uncle Henry because each day was a learning experience, every so often I long to be enriched with snippets of his wisdom and knowledge. But one thing is for sure I do not worry any more.  Thank you Uncle Henry for your worry box.

Prayer

Gracious Father,
I surrender myself to you. I surrender my worries, problems and troubles. I am giving them all to you by placing them on the altar. Cover and guide me Lord.  Remind me that you are in control whenever I try to take my troubles from you! Troubles don’t last all ways and Lord you bring joy in the morning. I praise your holy name.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner