The Souls Remedy Ministries Donations

Saturday, March 2, 2013

What’s in a name?



Your destiny is in your name
Read – Luke 1:57-66

 Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.  Psalm 25:5


Names are our identity

There was a time a person’s name meant something. Children were named after parents, aunts, uncles, or from the Bible. It connected them to history. For today’s generation there is no rhyme or reason in a child’s appellation.  Honoring generations passed, upholding family names, or having biblical reference is now passé. 

The importance of names

The bible illustrates the importance of titles. God changed names in an effort to establish new identity; Abram to Abraham – “father of a multitude” also with his wife Sari “my princess” to Sarah “mother of nations” Genesis 17:5-15.  God changed Jacob and Simon’s names too.  God also directed parents to name their children – Abraham to name his son Isaac, Zacharias was ordered by God’s angel to name his son John but the most important was directing Joseph in naming our Savior Jesus. Even today, God is still in the naming business, he was instrumental in naming my son.

Because God told me

  It was understood that the legacy of my name – ‘Tigner’ – would end with me and my son would have my middle name ‘James’.  God had a different agenda.  On a bright sunny Sunday morning, October 17th, as we jetted down the highway heading to the hospital the Holy Spirit spoke – “his name will be Emmanuel.”  It was beyond doubt I heard from God.

The name change was unexpected. No one knew except for me and God.  When asked “what name is given this child” family was dismayed with my response and asked why?  “Now he cannot carry on the legacy of your name.” I heard all type of complaints.  What was most important to me was naming my son accordingly; Emmanuel which being interpreted is “God with usMatthew 1:23.  God was with us because my wife’s pregnancy was difficult.  It was only by God’s grace and He being with us that allowed our son to be born – he was a gift from God.  So what is in a name? In this case it had everything to do with God. It had nothing to do with me or what others felt but what the Holy Spirit bestowed upon my heart.  Choose names wisely.
     
The beautiful name of Jesus

Jesus is known by many names, definitions and interpretations. And He answers to them all. People have called Him Prince of Peace, Savior, Bread of life, Counselor, redeemer, comforter, but the most important he is Wonderful. So what is in a name?  When you believe in Jesus name you find Comfort, peace, salvation, joy, and life eternal all for the asking.   When facing troubles, health, jobs, family crisis, at the call of his name Jesus is there.  So what is in a name - Everything that is ever needed can be found in this one name – Jesus.  

2 comments:

  1. Great post as I too believe this to be true. A name is the childs eternal footprint in life.

    Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was beautiful thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner